November 12, 2025

Red Beans and Rice

I threw this together one night and my husband raved and raved about it. We make this often.

I've added a few changes to my original recipe that I use now. One change was that I found that adding a cup of veggie broth made the flavor even better and added a good amount of moisture, which was needed. You can use any beans in this dish. We often use a mixture of black beans and navy beans, whatever we have. I don't drain and rinse the beans, but you can if you prefer. I'm going to buy some ground bay leaf for this because crushing them is hard and I'm tired of doing it. A mortar and pestle doesn't work. But you can buy ground bay leaf online. Or you can put it in a coffee grinder. But then you have to clean it. Nah, no thanks. 😄

Rice:

In a medium pot with a tight-fitting lid, add 2 cups of water, one cup of rice, 1 tsp. oil, and 1/2-1 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil with the lid off. Stir thoroughly to coat rice with oil to avoid sticking. Reduce to low heat, cover and set timer for 20 minutes. Leave covered. Do not remove lid until finished.

(I currently make my rice in a 3 qt Instant Pot. My recipe is 1 tsp. salt, 2 cups rice, thoroughly rinsed, and 3 cups water. Set on rice setting and make sure to have the valve set at sealing. Once done, let pressure come down naturally. I make it a couple of hours before dinner. This makes a big batch and I freeze the extra. Cooked rice does very well in the freezer.)

Red Bean Mixture:

1 cup onions, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 T butter or oil (use less if you like)
1 lb. smoked sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces
2-15 oz cans beans (red or kidney), undrained
1 cup vegetable broth
1 bay leaf, crushed (or 1/8 tsp. ground bay leaf)
2 T dried parsley (or 1/3 cup fresh)

Sauté onions, celery and garlic in butter/oil until softened on medium high heat. Add chopped sausage and cook 5 minutes. Stir in undrained beans, broth and crushed/ground bay leaf. Cook, covered, for 10-20 minutes. Stir in parsley and cook 5 minutes more. Serve over rice.